Registration: Opens January 1, 2019!
13.1 miles of uphill. Both ways. In the heat.
- Race Date: Saturday, August 24, 2019
- Location: Schramm 4H Camp
- Start Time: 8:30 a.m.
- Registration: Opens January 1, 2019
- Early Bird Entry Fees:
- Half Marathon: $65
- Half-a-Half: $50
- Quarter Half: $35
- Registration cap: 200 total runners
- The Eastern Nebraska 4H Camp is located at Schramm State Park and is 20 minutes southwest of Omaha, NE
- Field Limit is 200 runners
- Half = 13 Laps
- Half-a-Half = 6 consecutive laps
- Quarter Half = 3 consecutive laps
- Surface is 20% asphalt, 80% trail
What the Hill?! is a half marathon, half-a-half (or 10K-ish) and quarter half (or 5K-ish).
Date & Start Times
What the Hill?! is on Saturday, August 24, 2019. All races start at 8:30 a.m.
We allow a generous 5-hour cut-off for all distances.
What the Hill?! is timed by Be About Race Timing.
- Half Marathon: Top 3 females, Top 3 males
- Half-a-Half: Top female, Top male
- Quarter Half: Top female, Top male
Transfers & Refunds
Sorry, friends. We have a no transfer, no refund policy.
Travel & Lodging
There are a number of hotels within 15 minutes of Schramm Park. Below are a few convenient and nice options. Check here for a Google map of others in the area.
- Super 8 (Gretna – 5 miles from Schramm): Address: 14355 Hwy 31, Gretna, NE 68028; Phone: (800) 536-0519
- Courtyard by Marriott (La Vista, approximately 15 miles from Schramm): Address: 12560 Westport Pkwy, La Vista, NE 68128; Phone: (402) 339-4900
- Embassy Suites (La Vista, approximately 15 miles from Schramm): Address: 12520 Westport Pkwy, La Vista, NE 68128; Phone: (402) 331-7400
Get your Nebraska State Parks Pass here!
What the Hill?! will be run in a clockwise direction for the duration of the race.
We have a simple aid station at the Start/Finish line, with Tailwind, water, oranges, bananas, and pretzels.
A designated drop bag area will be under a tent in the start/finish area. Please mark your bags clearly with your name and bib number.
Average temperatures this time of year range from a low of 65 degrees to 84 degrees. It can be humid, too. It’s imperative you remain hydrated before, during, and after the race.
Race photos are always available here!
Kim Bultsma: firstname.lastname@example.org
Race Day Packet Pickup ONLY!
- Saturday, August 24, 2019
- 7 – 8 a.m.
- Eastern Nebraska 4-H Center (21520 W Highway 31, Gretna, NE 68028. 402-332-4496)
Race Day Schedule
- Packet Pickup: 7-8 a.m.
- Pre-race Announcements: 8:20 a.m.
- National Anthem: We’ll all sing together at 8:27 a.m.
- Race Start: 8:30 a.m.
- Eastern Nebraska 4-H Center (21520 W Highway 31, Gretna, NE 68028)
Follow This Race
Follow What the Hill?! Half Marathon and Half-a-Half on social media!
What the Hill?! Half Marathon, Half-a-Half, and Quarter Half Registration opens January 1, 2019.
- January 1 – July 31: $65
- August 1 – August 19: $75 (Registrations after August 1 cannot be guaranteed a shirt.)
- January 1 – July 31: $50
- August 1 – August 19: $60 (Registrations after August 1 cannot be guaranteed a shirt.)
- January 1 – July 31: $35
- August 1 – August 19: $40 (Registrations after August 1 cannot be guaranteed a shirt.)
We just aren’t sure yet. What do you want? Send Kim a message and tell her your swag ideas!
What this race supports
Proceeds from What the Hill?! Half Marathon, Half-a-Half, and Quarter Half will go toward the Eastern Nebraska 4H Center. The G.O.A.T.z are also committed to providing our time and energy to help better the Schramm trail system.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is What the Hill?!
Perhaps you’ve heard about it. It’s kind of a big deal. It’s “What the Hill?”
- What’s the big deal?
Nothing, really. What the Hill?! is simply a stretch of a wee bit of asphalt and a bunch of dirt trails with roughly 200 feet of elevation change per 1-mile loop.
- How does it work?
The G.O.A.T.z are all about excess. Sometimes it’s in miles, sometimes in hours, and sometimes excess is simply a number. Obviously, you can’t run 1-ish miles and call it a half marathon, but you CAN run 1-ish miles 13 times and call it a half marathon. Yes, that’s right! THIRTEEN times! Really, how hard can it be? Half of it is downhill. Half of it is uphill.
- Are there any trails involved?
There are now! We’d guesstimate 80% trails per 1-mile loop. What the Hill?! is now just 20% soft, bone, and joint-friendly asphalt per loop. (Don’t complain: it used to be 100% asphalt. Gross.)
Because we love Schramm! Plain and simple. An event here helps us introduce road runners who may not be experienced in trail running to the G.O.A.T.z and our mission, and raise money to give back to one of the state parks system’s most beautiful parks.
- How do I volunteer?
Shoot an email over to Race Director Kim Bultsma at email@example.com and tell her all about your desire to volunteer. She’ll get you hooked up in the right spot!
Want to get involved?
You know what makes awesome races more awesome? VOLUNTEERS. We can't do it without them, nor would we want to. If you want to be a Taunter with us, we'll put you to work.